background

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Real Chicken in a Biscuit

Imagine moist fluffy yummy biscuits.  Deep golden brown top, flaky, with a yummy buttery smell.

Got a good mental picture?  Ok, great, because my husband ate the biscuits I made before I could take a one.

I've been in the mood for experiments lately.  After watching a show on perfect biscuit making, I discovered the secret: crisco!  And all this time I thought butter was enough.  Unfortunately, I don't have any crisco.  All I have is butter and I can't believe it's not butter.  Did that stop me?  Of course not!

Luckily, I had roasted a whole chicken just a day ago.  I always save the drippings for myself to eat later (yes I know, I'm weird), so when I opened the tupperware today to get some out, I saw a nice thick layer of white fat had floated up and solidified on top of the gelatin beneath.  Say, that looks a lot like crisco.

That's when I got an idea.  Use the chicken fat as a substitute!  It should work the same right?  So instead of the usual 6-8 table spoons of butter, I used the chicken fat.  Well, I added one table spoon of butter for flavor, but cutting it into the flour was as easy as pie.  Rolling them out was not a problem, cutting them into little circles worked just fine, and guess what?  They even baked up nice and golden brown.

Have you ever had that little cracker "Chickin in a Biscuit"?  Well, that could describe the flavor, just more fresh I would say.  They were very yummy, and we had them tonight with cream chipped beef.

So, if you don't have exactly what you need for your dish, get creative!  You can always find a substitute!

No comments:

Post a Comment