background

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Salmon Dip


My dad makes this AMAZING salmon dip, and I am going to share it with you.

Traditionally, it should be made with fresh home smoked red salmon,  but not many people have an uncle who used to fish commercially like me.  SO!  It's ok to use the canned stuff.  In fact, that is what this recipe will use.

Like many of my recipes, simplicity is key.  No need to muddle up a good tasting protein with a lot of fancy doodads.  Salmon is lovely just how it is.  So, to start, you are going to need a can of red salmon. The can I picked up had a lot of bones, so make sure you go through and pull all those bones out.  It's fine if you smush the meat, you're going to be doing that anyways.  Once you have all the bones out, go ahead and  smash the meat up with a fork until it's nice and crumbly.  Then, stir it with half a package of cream cheese until it makes a bit of a paste.  Then, my favorite park, jalapenos!!!

You can use fresh if you want, but I like the pickled kind.  Take about 10 slices of pickled jalapenos, diced, and mix that in as well.  You can use more or less, depending on how much heat you can stand.  And I like a lot of heat, so I tend to go a little heavy on the jalapenos.  Remember to leave the seeds out, those are the parts that burn the most.

And there you have it, a very tasty dip that's perfect on chips, crackers or baguettes.  Or just on a spoon (that's how I eat it, hehe.  One of the few things I can eat without blending because it's so creamy).  Try it at your next family get together or work party, it will be gone in minutes I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment